Granny Squares Blanket

Thursday, 28 January 2010


 My granny squares blanket. Inspired by the lovely blankets Lucy makes at Attic 24.
It's been a long time since I did any crochet. When I was an art student many years ago I did lots of 'freeform crochet'. It broke the crochet rules. I thought traditional crochet was a bit fusty and old-fashioned. When I started reading Lucy's blog though I realised that crochet could also be vibrant and up to date whilst employing traditional techniques. It wasn't art school crochet and it wasn't my granny's crochet either. It was my kind of crochet.


There are 13 colours in the border. The same colours are used for the squares  along with 4 additional colours.

Working on the border.



These are the colours I used, all Rowan pure wool DK. The border was made in this order.

 Dahlia 042
 Hydrangea 027
 Port 037
 Pomegranate 029
 Kiss 036
 Tangerine 040
 Gilt 032
 Avocado 019
 Parsley 020
 Emerald 022
 Cypress 007
 Marine 008
 Ultra Marine 009

In addition to these colours I used

 Glacier 005
 Lavender 039
 Tea Rose 025
 Glade 021

I was ecstatically happy with the way my blanket had turned out. Keen to get a second opinion on its loveliness I asked C what he thought, 'mmm very good' was his verdict.

 I felt quite sad when I'd finished, no more blanket to work on. I had to find something else asap. My bag is coming along swimmingly.

  

12 comments:

  1. Ha, men! They just don't get it do they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:16 pm GMT

    Wow that looks great. Beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue (snoozer)11:06 am GMT

    That's beautiful - I wish I was creative, I'm a good copyist but I'm not good at visualising my own. I think I might have to try learnign crochet though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blanket is beautiful. Lucy's blog is great and her crochet is gorgeous, but you're right your blanket has it's own identity. A x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blanket looks lovely but its the bag that I really love. I would love to be able to make something like that.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a fabulous blanket, the colours are amazing and work so well together. I'm going to use your border style if I ever make enough Grannys for a blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. stressedoutmumof15:28 pm GMT

    Your blanket is gorgeous, as is your bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blanket is beautiful, you have inspired me to try my hand at crochet.

    Thanks for a lovely post

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a stunning blanket! I love, love, love the colors and the border. I am feeling inspired... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all granny square blankets, but the vibrancy of this one is truly amazing -absolutely gorgeous! The granny square blanket I made (see my recent post titled 'Comfort')several years ago is rather subdued, and this inspires me to dig out my crochet hooks and brightly colored yarns -Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:44 pm GMT

    I think you will want to add a facebook button to your site. Just bookmarked this blog, although I had to do it manually. Just my $.02 :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I will want to do that actually. I have no use for Facebook and really can't see what the difficulty with bookmarking a blog manually. it's hardly taxing is it?

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger