Granola

Tuesday, 26 January 2010


I don't buy boxed cereal. For breakfast I prefer to give my children something like porridge, eggs, pancakes, eggy bread, beans on toast, a bacon sandwich, potato cakes made out of leftover mash, or this granola. I like to know they've got some real food inside them. The idea of making your own breakfast cereal may seem a step too far for some, but really, you should consider making granola. It's easy peasy and will make you feel very clever.

This recipe is really a formula. Most of the ingredients are interchangeable. This makes a large quantity and you will need a big baking tray with a rim, or you could use a roasting tin. I like to use  cup measures for this recipe. My cup holds just over 200 ml of liquid so find something that holds about the same amount. A mug filled three-quarters full will do it.

Granola

4 cups of porridge oats- you could also use barley flakes.
1 cup of desiccated coconut
1 cup seeds - I use a  mixture of pumpkin, sunflower and sesame.
1 cup of chopped nuts - If you can't eat nuts simply increase the coconut and seeds by an extra half cup each.
½ cup (100ml) of oil or melted butter- not olive oil as the flavour is too strong. Something like sunflower or groundnut.
½ cup (100ml) soft brown sugar, honey or maple syrup
Pinch of salt (optional, but I think it improves it)
Pinch of cinnamon, mixed spice or spices of your choice
2 cups of dried fruit. I'm using apricots and cranberries here.



Mix all the dry ingredients except the dried fruit together in your biggest bowl.
Pour in the sweet ingredient and oil.


Mix very well.
Spread it out on a baking tray (or trays) and bake at 150°C/130-140°C fan oven/Gas 2/ for 1 hour stirring gently at 20 minute intervals.



Leave to cool undisturbed on the tray, then pour into a bowl, breaking up any big chunks as you go.
Mix in the dried fruit.
Store in an airtight container.

Thank you for the comments by the way, and to everyone who is reading my blog. It means a lot :o)

10 comments:

  1. Ahh crunchy granola! It was 'quite the thing' back in the day. Jordan's Original Crunchy reminds me of the stuff we used to make back in the early 70's.


    I think I might make your recipe - bring on Neil Diamond

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taEHw11MlaU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi 'Sue'-

    Feels funny to call you that as I've "known" you as Thriftlady for so long :-)

    We do eat boxed cereals - it's just the BH and I - but the ones we eat most are the 'nutty' type, like the Jordans Country Crisp (but store brand). This seems an excellent idea for us to try and add to or subtract ingredients.

    Do you have a roundabout figure as to what this costs? Thought if I had a £ figure, may help to convince BH to give it a go ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kadeeae, the cost will vary according to what you use. The oats of course are very cheap but the nuts are expensive and some kinds are much more expensive than others. The same goes for the dried fruit -cranberries for example are not the cheapest choice. The sweetener you choose will affect the cost too maple syrup being the costliest option. I also used an expensive oil- cold-pressed rapeseed oil.

    To keep the cost as low as possible I would suggest peanuts, sunflower seeds and raisins as being the cheapest options, sugar as your sweetener and sunflower oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, we've got a lot of boxed in store right now, but when the supply dwindles down a bit I'll give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue (snoozer)11:00 am GMT

    Hi Sue,

    Loving the blog - re:nuts and fruit, Lidl do big bags of cranberries which work out cheaper than other places, they also do bags of mixed seeds which I used to buy to mix in to their own brand meusli which is very oggd. I'm going to try making the granola this weekend, I'm tired of eating porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:51 pm GMT

    A belated thank you for posting this recipe, Sue - I've made it twice now and it has disappeared at the rate of knots (and there's only the two of us in the house now!). It tastes fab. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading your blog by the way and drooling over all the lovely photos!
    Ros

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im so glad I've seen this, It looks fantastic.

    I will definitely give this one a whirl when I have a spare moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Sue I love the sound of this but need some inspiration - what can I use instead of the coconut?? thanks
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Orange, hello,
    Granola is a very flexible thing. I'd replace the coconut with more nuts or more seeds. If you chop nuts in a food processor you get a range of texture with some very finely chopped like coconut and some big chunks. Or, you could replace the coconut with wheatgerm, barley flakes or more oats.
    Hope that helps :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue

    I'm a regular reader of your blog and was perusing your recipes for inspiration and came across this. Thank you so much!! Have made some today (half quantity) using cranberries and dried tropical fruit mix - its delicious and very moreish! Will definitely make the full quantity next time.
    Thanks again
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger