Meet the Quince Tree

Monday, 25 January 2010



Pretty drab and uninteresting I think you'll agree. The Quince Tree is not at its best in January but come April she'll be dressed in zesty green and the palest of pink. By September she'll be adorned with lemon coloured fruits which will gradually swell and turn gold. They reach the size of a grapefruit if you can imagine a pear-shaped grapefruit and will do you a nasty injury if you happen to be standing underneath the tree when they fall. October will see me in full quince-mode. There will be quince jelly, quince vodka, baked quince, quince sorbet, quince pies and crumbles and copious amounts of quince purée for the freezer. I will not need to burn my favourite fragrance oils because the scent of quince will fill the house. I just hope we don't have a late frost in April.

It may be drab and grey today but I managed to find some colour here and there.

                             

My breakfast. Last year's marmalade needs finishing up!


Now that's what I call pink. Early forced rhubarb. Neon fruit - love it.

                         

I discovered 'purest green' in my garden covering a brick.
                              


And this jolt of colour is my current WIP, a bag for keeping my yarn in. Only trouble is by the time I finish I might not have any yarn left. I'm following Lucy's wonderful tutorial.

4 comments:

  1. Do you know how old the quince tree is - I am thinking of one for my garden and I wonder how long I will have to wait for fruit?

    I have always made my own marmelade in the past, however, when it ran out I looked for an alternative for a while and I have developed a taste for Tesco's value marmalade. At 27pence a jar it has appeal, it also tastes very like Robertson's Golden Shred! WhenI want to make marmelade again, jams and chutneys I shall have good jars with lids!

    Win win - for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, I planted the tree about 11 years ago I think. After three years of just two or three fruit I was suddenly innundated with fifty odd. I wish I could remember which nursery supplied the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sue, the trees are findable. It will be worth the wait.

    I enjoy learning French and I've stayed with French families for short periods of time. One of them gave me some solid quince paste to eat with cheese - so delicious.

    Maureen

    Interesting, I've seen the name Thriftlady on Martin's and now there is a face. Not too far from what I imagined! Just adored the 'living on wartime rations' thread. The letters from the person whose mother was a 'Bluebell Girl', quite a unique insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to have a quince tree. My in-laws have a 3 or 4 year old bush in their garden, but it's only had about 5 fruits on it so far and those were only small. One for our garden is definitely on my *to buy* list.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger