Welsh Cakes

Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Anyone who, like me had or has a Welsh granny will be familiar with Welsh cakes. Welsh grannies can turn out dozens of these little beauties in their sleep. Some Welsh grannies refer to Welsh cakes as pice ar y maen but my granny grew up in South Wales where Welsh wasn't widely spoken although she did occasionally manage an 'ach y fi!' when confronted with particularly grubby grandchildren. My mum can also turn out a mean Welsh cake and they were a regular feature of childhood teatimes (along with Scotch pancakes).



Welsh cakes are not baked in the oven but cooked on a griddle on the hob a relic of the days when few houses had ovens. My mum had a griddle (sometimes called a girdle). It was  rectangular, black, cast iron and very heavy. It fitted over two hot-plates on her hob. She passed it on to me but I couldn't get on with it finding my big, heavy frying pan much easier to use.

 Welsh cakes are made of simple, unpretentious ingredients. No chunks of 'best quality chocolate', no dried cranberries, no macadamia nuts, sour cream or muscovado sugar just plain old traditional ingredients.
A word about two of the ingredients. First, lard. Don't be scared of lard. It's a natural ingredient, a very cheap one at that, and unless you are frying everything you eat in it unlikely to do you harm. Remember a Welsh cake is not designed to be a staple part of your diet, in my house they are lunch box and after school fodder for three ravenous active children. Lard also makes the Welsh cakes very 'short' in texture. If you don't trust me on this matter or are veggie then replace the lard with more butter but do not use margarine or I will be very cross (unless you are vegan, then you are allowed).
Next the sultanas. Now my granny always used currants, she used currants in everything bless her. My mum hated them, gritty little devils, so she always used sultanas. That's what I use too because I have inherited the currant hatred but you can use currants or raisins. I think sultanas are called golden raisins in the States ;o)

Welsh Cakes

Makes about 24

Before you start making the dough heat your griddle or heavy frying pan to a medium heat.

Sift 1lb of self-raising flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
Rub in (cut in) 4oz lard and 4oz of butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Stir in 6oz sugar, 6 oz sultanas and about a quarter of a teaspoon of mixed spice* 
Add 2 beaten eggs and mix to form a stiffish dough. You don't want it too sticky add more flour if it is.

Roll out on a floured surface a quarter of an inch thick and cut 3 inch rounds with a biscuit (cookie) cutter.
Turn the heat under the griddle to lowish.
Lightly grease the griddle or pan with a bit of lard or butter and place as many cakes as you can comfortably fit on it. I can get 7 on my large frying pan. let them cook for about 3 mins each side. Take care the heat isn't too high as they burn easily. It may take a couple of tries to get the heat right on your particluar pan or griddle so don't give up if your first batch is a little dark. Cool them on a wire rack.

*American readers, I think something like pumpkin pie spice might fit the bill here. Mixed spice is a blend of coriander, cinnamon, cloves, ,nutmeg and ginger. It isn't essential.


They are delicious straight from the pan but nice too once cooled, plain or spread with butter. They don't keep for very long, like a scone they go stale fairly quickly. They are eaten up quickly in my house but they could be frozen or made in half quantities if there are too many for you to eat before they go stale.


Enjoy.


9 comments:

  1. yum yum Sue. I once had a welch boyfriend so had them often. The relationship did NOT end well but I still like the cakes.Thankyou for the recipe. I must have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Welsh Cakes and havwen't made them for ages - just might be inspired.

    Lard - my cousin told me that when I was small I always ate lard on bread or toast, sprinkled with sugar. It was home made lard. This because I always thought margarine the food of the devil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love welsh cakes - home made are best - even the ones we had on holiday in Pembrokeshire last year weren't the same.

    Sadly I didn't have a welsh granny (did have a scottish one and I swear that baking must be in the genes!) so my childhood experience of welsh cakes has been when I have made them myself. Sadly this cook will consume far too many of them herself so they are rarely on the menu...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to try these once I've moved. Sister the Second made some at Easter and I think she wished she'd kept some back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:20 pm BST

    My great granny used to make these, wow that takes me back :) Will have to make some vegan ones soon, thanks so much for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mother used to make these, I hated currants too, so she'd make them without for me. The griddle that we had (we are also from South Wales) was always called the bake-stone and the cakes known as Bakestones. I've not had one for many years even though I used to adore them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look and sound very intriguing :-)I am not quite sure where to buy lard, as it is absolutely not one of our kitchen staples, but as Schmalzbrote (slices of bread "buttered" with lard and sprinkled with salt) are a very German thing to eat, I am certain I will be able to find some in our supermarket :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Replace the lard with butter Anna. They will be delicious.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sue, I'll try that :-)

      Delete

I welcome friendly comments and if you ask a question I will respond directly here. I also respond in a somewhat random fashion to other comments. If I don't respond to your comment it is because I can't think of anything to say beyond 'thank you so much' and not for any other reason.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger