The Quince Diaries (2)


Quince and pumpkin chutney today. This was a new recipe for me. It is a variation on Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's 'glutney'. The idea is that you use whatever you have a glut of. This particular variation is suggested by Pam Corbin in the River Cottage Preserves Handbook.


Quinces, pumpkin, red onions and Bramley apples.
One and a half hours of peeling, coring and chopping later I added sugar, cider vinegar, raisins and spices.



Three hours later it looked like this.


I got eight jars. I shall let it mature for a couple of months before eating it.

I'm beginning to make a dent in them for sure. Still to come - jelly, vodka, puree, stewed for the freezer and a few to bake or add to stews. I'll soon see them turned into deliciousness.

Comments

  1. Lovely. I adore the way you label your jars, so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interested in your quince recipes. Would like to trybparadise jelly but need to track down some quinces first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks wonderful!
    Warm wishes, Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have a big pantry or store house to store all these yummy things. You are so much more adventurous than me :)
    Have a wonderful day, Sandi xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, you've been awarded the lovely blog award! I hope you will claim it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been busy. I was watching Pam Corbin on River Cottage Everyday last night, she was making Piccalilli. Is her book worth getting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks really tasty! I love pam the jam hihi!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so delicious, wish I had a quince tree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello. First time I have come across your blog so I am off for a look through. Lucky you to have quinces - I have never actually even seen a real one! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You are extremely determined to use up your quinces, Sue. All this chopping and cooking sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That pile was massive,I knew you would use them up, even those last few won't go to waste! I have that book on my xmas want list! you should sell some of your wares! Well done resourceful Sue! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your jar labels. Best wishes, Pj x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pati from London3:04 pm BST

    These quinces of yours are fantastic and the yummy things you are creating look great! Well done! No quinces round this side of London unfortunately..... Pati x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment