Random Deliciousness

Wednesday, 14 September 2011

It's been a while since I posted some random deliciousness.

Below is a fishy  pizza bianca (no tomato sauce) I made for Charlie and myself on Saturday. It has onions which I had fried very gently first, chunks of sardine al limone and mozzarella on top. Very good it was too.


Smoked mackerel with baked potatoes and salad is one of my favourite easy midweek meals.
This was Monday's supper. I served the mackerel with some of my bread and butter pickles and a salad of grated beetroot, carrot and apple doused in a mustardy vinaigrette.


Smoked mackerel paté
We didn't eat all the smoked mackerel. I made the leftovers into paté by simply mashing the fish up with big spoonful of cream cheese and a couple of teaspoons of horseradish. A lovely lunch spread on oatcakes with some pickles.


Below is an idea from The River Cottage Cookbook by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. If you stew courgettes slowly in olive oil and butter with some thinly sliced cloves of garlic


they become melting and delicious.


If you then add a handful of grated parmesan  and a big dollop of crème fraîche or cream and mash it up you will have a gorgeous sauce for pasta. Add some crisp bacon and you'll be in heaven.


We didn't eat all the courgette sauce. I beat the leftover sauce together with three eggs and about 12 fl oz of milk. I added a small bowl of leftover sweetcorn I found lurking in the fridge and poured it into a pastry case. I threw on a couple of handfuls of grated cheese and baked it.


It went very well with the beetroot salad.


Thank you, by the way, for your continued comments, especially all the garden advice. Much appreciated.

23 comments:

  1. mmmmmm I am now very hungry, they all look delicious. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum ... all of it :D

    That's how I cook courgettes but I've never though about making a pasta sauce like that ... thank you for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you make everything look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making me feel hungry.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog. I just love it. You make everything sound so easy!

    Smoked mackerel pate is one of my top ten favourite foods. Love the stuff, didn't realise it was so easy to make.

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:11 pm BST

    Wow! Gorgeous dishes, I think I'll have to try them all... Yum! (sorry I can't comment using an 'identity', I've been reading your blog for a while now and its definitely one if my favourites - keep up the good work! My name is Trudy!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! I think I've worked out how to add my name - Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:25 pm BST

    Thanks for sharing your super leftover food ideas! You're so inventive, and I shall certainly be trying the flan.

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, you are such an inventive cook. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel F8:22 am BST

    yep, i second what Annabella said! Looks great. I made a lovely roasted aubergine and chickpea soup last night ( from my bellydance mag!) and pumpkin and blue cheese risotto - lots left for supper and lunch - satisfying not to waste!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaargh I am never going to lose weight reading your blog. I now want to try everything, it all looks utterly delicious. The trouble is my husband doesn't like fish, no matter I can eat it all myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great idea for courgettes we have grown them for the first time this year and have had loads so will be trying your recipe love your blog get sad when you miss commenting some days.carole

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're a wonder with food. 'Bianca' is the word I have been looking for for years (as I don't much care for tomato sauce). Lasagne bianca, ratatouille bianca, roast vegetables bianca - waiters will no longer be able to terrorize me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Sue,

    Please take me in as your lodger.

    Love

    TA.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful selection of food!
    I really like smoked mackerel pate, especially when home made.
    Friends and family must love coming over to visit you!
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pati from london1:50 pm BST

    Oh la la, Sue!!! as resourceful as ever! just fab! x Pati

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do you always have leftovers? If my cooking was half as good as yours I very much doubt that I'd ever have leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are planned leftovers really. The children don't like mackerel. I admit, I give them fishfingers with omega 3 when we have mackerel and I had already planned to use the rest of it for paté. I deliberately made more courgette sauce than I needed intending to freeze it if there was enough for another meal. There wasn't quite enough for that hence the tart.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sue, I am over here across the sea licking my chops...you know...as in major SALIVATING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am full as an egg - we've just scoffed risotto followed by crumble and yet you still make me want to eat each and every dish in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the courgette ideas (my least favourite veg)they sound as though they may actually taste of something other than water!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

The Quince Tree All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger