Cornish Clotted Cream

Cornish gold


Clotted cream.
A West Country speciality traditionally made by putting rich, creamy milk into wide shallow pans and cooking it over a gentle heat so that the cream rises to the top and forms a thick, wrinkled, yellow crust. It is so thick you cannot pour it and has a distinctive cooked taste which is quite delicious.


Rodda's is the largest commercial producer of clotted cream and has the status of Protected Designation of Origin by the EU. This means it has to be made with Cornish milk and have a fat content of at least 55%. Cornish grass apparently has higher carotene levels which produces a yellower cream than Devon clotted cream.


Rodda's is, I think, available countrywide. I can easily buy it in supermarkets in Worcester. However, in Cornish supermarkets you can buy it in 1lb tubs rather than the little tubs we get elsewhere.


Clotted cream is similar to the Middle Eastern buffalo cream kaymak. There is a theory that two thousand years ago Phoenician traders looking for tin came to Cornwall and passed on the method for making thick cream to the Cornish.


I brought a tub home with me to put in a birthday cake. George had requested a Victoria sponge filled with jam and cream. Clotted cream is traditionally eaten with jam and scones as part of a cream tea. I'm always a little disappointed with the jam in a cream tea. It is often cheap commercial jam, stiff and lacking in fruit. I've used homemade blackcurrant jam in George's cake which is, of course, much nicer.


This cake is by no means my original recipe but as I am running out of month it will have to be my July Cake of the Month.


Easy All-In-One Sponge Cake

Mix all the following ingredients together well
8 oz (225g) self-raising flour
8 oz caster sugar
8 oz soft butter
4 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)

Divide mixture between two 8 inch (22cm) loose bottomed sandwich tins which you have greased and base-lined.
Bake for 25 minutes at 180°c (160°c fan oven) until well risen and golden. The cake should spring back when pressed with a finger.


When cool spread one cake liberally with good quality jam (strawberry, raspberry or blackcurrant are good but use what you like. Lemon curd is a delicious possibility).
Spread cream generously on top of the jam. Clotted cream is fabulous but whipped double (heavy) cream will be wonderful too.
Top with the second cake and dive in.




Comments

  1. Having lived in Cornwall for 20 years and marrying a Cornish man, Rodda's was a familiar label in our fridge...until we moved here!!! But, last Christmas, a shop in our nearest 'tourist' town stocked it, as a special, for the Christmas period...It had to be bought!! Sometimes, you have to forget miles, (it was delicious)
    I'm glad you managed to meet Pip, she would have been a neighbour, if we still lived in Cornwall, love her blog, love her photos of familiar places.
    Take care
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 500 cals???? Thank goodness I can't buy it on a whim!!!
      And making ice cream from it? what are you thing of Menopausal, you you mad thing??? (sniff, jealously) x

      Delete
  2. That looks so good, I am going to stop at the British novelty shop we have here and pay the crazy price so that I can make a cake like that this afternoon. Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ye Gads those photographs have made me hungry. I loved this post...I thought I knew all about clotted cream and cream teas, some great facts here. Do you happen to know how many Weight Watchers points are in Clotted cream? Just asking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 500 per tablespoon :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Definitely worth it! :)

      Delete
  4. I have been using Rodda's to make ice cream, but had never really looked at the design on the tub. Until reading your post today. Your photos are so stunning.........

    I am with you on the quality of jam in cream teas. Blackcurrant jam is my favourite of all home made jams, so sharp against the cream. Salivating now, dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:06 pm BST

    What a scrummy looking cake! My favourite use of clotted cream is with fresh, slightly warm Cornish Splits and golden syrup - known here in Cornwall as 'Thunder 'n' Lightning'! Oh, I'm drooling now!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. That makes two of us!!

    And please, where are the beautiful Cornish beaches on photos nos., 2, 4 and 5....have never been and it looks just the kind of place for our after-harvest break...reeeelaxxinG! You have a wonderful eye for for detail.

    LvMrs GH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures 4 and 5 are of Kynance Cove which is a perfect beach owned by the National Trust (there's a car park charge of £4.50 for non members). I'm afraid my husband has forbidden me from divulging the location of the beach in picture 2! It isn't as nice as Kynance anyway -no sand. Other lovely beaches in the Lizard area of Cornwall are Kennack Sands and Coverack.

      Delete
  7. I didn't know about the difference in Cornish and Devonshire grass. And I am Devonian born and bred. Oh the shame. Buying local clotted cream is still a bloody expensive exercise down 'ere though. In fact anything with the label 'local' attracts a shocking premium. Pity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I wish you lived here Sue. Regular meet ups would be so lovely. Roddas is delicious and have you tried Trwithen butter? Another local delicacy. I do like my fats!! It was so good to meet with you, Diana and your family. Looking forward to next year already (and yes, it would be great to have dear Jude as a neighbour too) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would George mind if I shared his birthday cake in virtual form as it's my birthday today and it would be much better for my cholesterol? Looks absolutely yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing beats Clotted Cream! Nice in cakes, on scones whichever way, cream first or jam first I don't mind which, and on any fresh fruit!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic pictures of Cornish cream! Wow! It is gorgeous stuff, is't it?! I'm suddenly in a baking mood ... but creme fraiche will have to do, one of Delia Smith's staples! Your homemade blackcurrant jam sounds wonderful, it's one of my favourites! I've just made some apricot jam, so that will be good too! Happy Sunday and Happy Birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh that looks good! Kinda' lethal, but good. And yes, blackcurrant jam is absolutely the best :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been to England three times, and each time I stuffed my face with clotted cream. I wish, wish, wish it could be bought here in Canada. And George's cake looked so delicious. Wishing him all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was a child I asked Santa Claus for clotted cream, as I had read about it in 'What Katy Did Next' (I think) but Santa Claus couldn't source it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sue, the clotted cream looks so delicious! May have to try this in a sponge cake next time.xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:11 pm BST

    Another luscious cake. Sue, you photos always look so scrummy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous birthday cake! Thank you for the cake recipe and also for the interesting details on clotted cream (which I have enjoyed many times) and the carotene angle.

    It is possible to find versions of clotted cream here in New York, but savoring it in the UK always just seems better.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,
    I've just found your wonderful blog for the first time and am enjoying reading previous posts and looking at your beautiful photos. Your food looks so scrumptious, I've already 'turned down the corners' on several of your pages, so to speak, as I've seen lots of things I must make.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here in the North East/North Yorkshire we can buy wonderful clotted creammade by an exiled Cornishwoman from their own organic herd of cows on their farm near Northallerton.I think Stamfrey Farm clotted cream is available in local food shops.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was SO excited to actually MEET a member of the Rodda family when he came to our church last year. Their clotted cream is THE best!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my this looks delicious!!! Heart stopping, yet scrummy!!!
    Look out arteries, I think I need cake!! LOL

    Lush
    London, UK

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my the clotted cream!!! I miss it so much, we do not have anything like that over here even though there are other milk products galore. Oh what would I pay for clotted cream and jam over some fresh scones! (I often come here to reminiscence over my long gone two years in Britain. I like your style of looking at things.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment